Your Guide to Part P of the Building Regulations

Building Regulations


It brought all electrical work carried out in the home under statutory control – requiring certain jobs to be notified and signed off by a local building control department, or a Competent Person Scheme registered electrician, so that it meets the appropriate standards.

Changes to Part P

In 2013 the government announced some changes to Part P. The range of works notifiable to building control was reduced (For England only, In Wales some of the regulations still apply).Under the new, revised regulations, electrical work undertaken in kitchens such as adding a new socket or installing a new security light outdoors are no longer notifiable unless a new circuit is required.

Work that is notifiable to local building control

Below is an example of the type of work that is notifiable:

  • The installation of a new circuit
  • The replacement of a consumer unit or
  • Any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a ‘special location’

A ‘special location’ is considered to be a bathroom where there is a higher risk of water mixing with electrics, giving rise to an increased potential for an electric shock. When working in bathrooms certain restrictions must be adhered to so that switches, and other electrical equipment are installed at safe distances away from showers, baths and taps where the risk of mixing electricity and water is increased.

Work that is not notifiable to local building control

Below are examples of work that is not notifiable:

  • Additions and alterations to existing installations outside special locations, and replacements, repairs and maintenance anywhere
  • Installing a new cooker is not notifiable unless a new cooker circuit is needed
  • Connecting an electric gate or garage door to an existing isolator switch is not notifiable work but installing a new circuit from the consumer unit to the isolator is notifiable
Failure to adhere to Part P

If you cannot provide the right evidence that electrical work has been carried out in accordance with the building regulations then your local building control may insist that the work is re-done at your cost. Additionally, not having the appropriate certification may cause problems when it comes to selling your home.

It is a criminal offence to carry out work that does not comply with building regulations with a maximum fine of £5,000.

A straightforward way of meeting the requirements is to use an electrician who is registered with a competent person scheme such as NICEIC or ELECSA. They can self-certify the work and notify the local building control department on your behalf.

You will then receive an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) or Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (MEIWC) from your contractor confirming the work has been carried out to the required standard along with a building regulation letter of compliance from the registered scheme body – NICEIC or ELECSA.

What happens if something goes wrong?

As Eastbourne Electrical is a registered company with the NICEIC you are protected by their Platinum Promise. The Platinum Promise is valid for up to six years from the date of the completion of the work and covers work up to a maximum of £2,500 for any one installation.

Content adapted from original source (NICEIC – Your Guide To Part P Of The Building Regulations)


Related articles

Blogging Image

Chris Wilson

Support Director

Welcome to our news section. We enjoy keeping our clients updated with what the company is currently up to, as well as providing relevant information when we can.

Chris Wilson

Our Latest Projects